Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies and Doubts



There's a silent comfort that I feel while baking, also while eating cookies. Cookies remind me of what it used to feel like being a kid, it reminds me of my mom.


There are days when I wonder if I have enough skill to pursue my love for baking... I have been looking around blogs to see that many are more knowledgeable in melding flavors, many have the funds, the capabilities and the background to dream big. I felt stuck, unable to do anything for some time. The heat was also an addition. How can anyone have a hot oven running at this temperature? But mostly, I am just in doubt. I shrug my shoulders and say to myself, don't overthink it. In fact, don't think about it. Just bake when you feel like it. Bake to make yourself happy. That's what your good at. And here I am.

The chocolate chip cookies I have to share with you are not exactly the type I prefer.. but they are delicious regardless. Think of biting into the crisp cookie, and discover its chewy center. It is easy to overcook them, and you might lose that chewiness that I enjoy in them. Some of them ended up cooking in twelve to thirteen minutes, my oven rising up to 400 degrees. I regulate the temperature by opening the oven door a bit for less than a minute.




I've kept mine in a large glass cookie jar Hubby and I have bought at a thrift store less than a year ago. You may store yours in a zip-lock bag.



Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Jacque Torres

2 Cups minus 2 tablespoons Cake Flour
1 2/3 Cups Bread Flour
1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
2 1/2 sticks Unsalted Butter
1 1/4 Cups Light Brown Sugar
1 Cup plus 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
2 large eggs, 1 egg  yolk
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 pounds Bittersweet or Semi-sweet chocolate feves or chips

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about five minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

3. Drop chocolate chips/pieces in and fold into batter.

4. Roll cookie dough and wrap with plastic wrap/cling wrap. Chill for atleast 3 hours, preferrably a day to three days. The dough develops flavor while sitting on the refrigerator. Dough may be used in batches.

5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

6. Scoops and roll the dough into balls and place on baking sheet, making sure to leave space in between each cookies as it will flatten and spread during baking. You may add a sprinkle of good quality sea salt on top prior to baking. You may also just cut the rolled cookie dough and do not have to roll them into balls. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown but still soft. Mine had baked less than 15 minutes, time may differ. Be sure to check once in a while after the 10 minute mark.

7. Enjoy!




I am starting to dislike how small my photos are. I edit them big, and they end up almost half its size and loses some detail. They also seem to get darker when I post them here. Hm, what do you think? I'm making more of an effort to improve my photos. The lighting inside the house is underwhelming, and I can't always shoot outside. Any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment